Thursday, January 26, 2006

81 Luff Balloons??!!??

I woke up on Monday morning after watching the NFL Conference Championships on Sunday. Like much of the regular season this year, I ignored the NBA's scores from the previous day, even though I am the biggest Laker fan since Fletch.

First, let me say I am one of Kobe's biggest apologists. Watch him play, sometime, really watch him. You cant say he isnt one of the best all around players ever. You cant, he's that good..

"Did you see Kobe last night," a friend asked me excitedly. I figured he put up another 55 on someone. Little did I know he put 55 up in one half.

Wait a dang minute? 81 points?

Nah, cant be. 4 overtimes, right? Nope, he did it regulation. Dude sat half of the 2nd quarter, even.

Let me say that again, cause its been 4 days and I still dont believe it. 81 points in an NBA game.

Michael used to do that right? Nope, he never even hit 70. I guess Kobe doesnt want to be like Mike. Kareem? nope. Baylor, nope? Robinson? Nope. Shaq? Nope. AI? Nope.

KOBE? YES!

Only Wilt, in an era where he could score at Willt (pardon the pun), and he shot 32 FT's. Kobe shot 20 FT's in 12 less minutes than Wilt played in his game of 100 pts.

I think Reggie Miller said it best on PTI the other day. Anyone who criticizes this performance is doing it out of pure jealousy. Plain and simple.

Hate on Kobe all you want. I did my share of Michael hating back in the day. However, dont get lost on the fact that he scored 81 pts in 41 minutes while shooting over 50% from 2 and from 3 point range. 18-20 from the foul line. His 1st two misses in over 2 weeks.

If it wasnt the best scoring performance in NBA history outside of Wilt scoring 100 (I personally think its even better than Wilt's), I would like to see the better performance.

Sorry, not much funniness to this post, but I still cant believe my eyes. 81 points. Good Grief.