Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Offseason Wish List

This past football season can only be summed up with one word in the Sheik's household - bittersweet. Encouraging regular seasons gave way to lack-luster post seasons. It is kind of like the hottest girl in school asking you to prom like 4 months in advance...and then the day of the event she stone colds you. Translation - you find yourself floating on cloud nine only to realize that cloud nine isn't really cloud nine. It isn't even cloud 8. It isn't a cloud at all - it was just a smoke and mirrors dirty trick. Stupid high school girls. And what does cloud nine even freaking mean? If I ever find the guy that came up with that saying, I'm gonna beat him so bad...

But I digress. I'm speaking now to the decision makers of the Chicago Bears and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish - please hear me. We both only have one priority, and how ironic that both teams fates lie in the same hands.........the secondary.

Corners, safeties, nickel backs, dime backs - we welcome any and all that will cover an opposing receiver.

Sidebar - Steve Smith just caught another 23 yard pass.

Yes - the rules have changed slightly on the WAY you can cover a wide receiver. But they didn't outlaw the act of coverage itself. And they don't even put a limit on the number of guys that can guard one receiver. So lets say a team has a quarterback that needs extreme doses of ridelin, and can only locate one receiver on every down. We can technically put 3, 4, 5 DB's on that one guy - hence making it more difficult for him to come open.

Steve Smith is a professional. He gets paid to get open and catch balls. But 28 or 29 in one game is just a shade over ridiculous.

Sidebar - that flash you just saw across your screen was Teddy Ginn scoring another 93 yard touchdown.

Folks - I'm not fast. The fastest you will see me move is when I head to the fridge when a commercial comes on to make a sandwich. However - I gaurantee you this. If I have a 30 yard head start on Teddy Ginn in a 50 yard dash - there is no way he is getting past me. He is faster than Walt Flannigan's dog, but he is not getting past me with that kind of cushion.

Which leads me to ask - WHY CAN'T WE KEEP SOMEONE BEHIND HIM AT ALL TIMES???? How can we possibly allow him to be standing 20 yards beyond our safeties, just standing there, by himself, picking his butt, macking on the cheerleaders, waiting for the ball to come down? It is just not feasible.

I beg you both - fix this. Charlie - work some magic. Fix this. Lovie Baby - I love you - but please fix this.